Number of Positions: 1
Cameron Stephens Mortgage Capital is looking for an Analyst in our Underwriting and Credit Department.
We are always looking for the best and brightest to join our exciting team at Cameron Stephens. In addition to being part of a team with a true entrepreneurial spirit and significant room for growth, we offer a compensation package that includes:
- Competitive salaries
- Competitive annual discretionary bonus
- Comprehensive extended health benefits
- Educational assistance for professional development and accreditation
- Market leading RRSP matching program
- Employee wellness and work-life balance programs
Who are we?
Cameron Stephens Mortgage Capital Ltd. (“CSMC”) is a leading non-bank lender with offices in Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver. The company was founded in 2004 and currently has a committed loan book of $2 billion. Seventy-five percent of the loans are funded by institutional investors, and the remaining twenty-five percent of the loans are funded by private investors. CSMC specializes in commercial real estate loans, particularly land development loans, construction loans, and commercial mortgages, and employs 50+ people.
In 2019, CSMC launched a new fund, Cameron Stephens High Yield Mortgage Trust (“CSMT”), to keep up with the growing demand for private capital in the commercial mortgage space. CSMT invests in a diverse range of asset classes; however, its focus is on leveraging CSMC’s expertise in the residential development and construction sectors. CSMT currently has approximately $50 million in assets under management, and plans to grow this to $100 million over the next 12 months. CSMC also has a Mortgage Investment Corporation (“CSMIC”) with an outstanding loan balance of approximately $50 million.
What you will do:
- Build relationships with the Borrowers to thoroughly understand their needs;
- Underwrite high quality, thoughtful Loan Summary packages for all mortgage product types, including land loans, cost to complete construction loans, revolving construction loans, servicing loans, inventory loans and amortizing term loans;
- Build relationships with the Borrowers to thoroughly understand their needs, and work cohesively with the origination department, mortgage investment group, and funding department to ensure transactions are processed in a timely and efficient manner to deliver superior customer service and meet funding deadlines;
- Establishing personal goals and action plans to support CSMC’s business objectives, and demonstrating an ongoing willingness to assume higher degrees of accountability and responsibility;
- Keep abreast of changes within diverse industry sectors and proactively identify opportunities to improve the growth and development of the assigned transactions by analyzing Client/Borrower needs, trends, and competitor offerings; and
- Analyze loan transactions on a qualitative and quantitative basis in order to submit detailed Loan Summaries for Investor approval, which will contribute towards the overall profitability of CSMC.
What your day-to-day tasks will include:
- Analyze a variety of commercial real estate transactions including, but not limited to, office, retail, industrial, residential, hospitality, and land;
- Under the guidance of the Director, complete detailed Loan Summaries for submission and approval to Investors, which includes disciplined underwriting, thorough market research and accurate transaction representations;
- Ensure all required due diligence material is obtained and reviewed, and is consistent with preliminary underwriting, deal structure, and Investor approval and/or, where applicable, advise Director of any material discrepancies;
- Correspond with the borrower, mortgage and real estate brokers, and other industry professionals to validate and further substantiate the underwriting assumptions and gain a better understanding of particular markets and asset classes;
- Perform modeling and quantitative analysis related to real estate developments, income-producing properties, and other real estate assets in order to substantiate value and profitability of loan transactions;
- Where required and in conjunction with the Origination team, perform site inspections and meet with borrowers, property managers, appraisers, and other related stakeholders; • Review all applicants’ credit worthiness by performing a detailed analysis of personal net worth statements, financial statements, credit reports and other financial data relevant to the borrower and transaction;
- Identify risks and mitigants related to the loan transactions and the borrower, and make recommendations to Director;
- Prepare commitment letters consistent with underwriting and approved deal structure, and, when required, prepare memos and amendments related to changes from the approved deal structure; and
- Provide potential investment partners with underwriting and transaction materials to support syndication activities.
What you will bring:
- Post-secondary Degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Economics, or Finance with an educational focus on Real Estate or Land Development, or equivalent (required); • 1-2 years of related work experience in the real estate lending industry (required) or • 3-5 years of related work experience in the real estate lending industry to be placed in a more senior role;
- Strong personal commitment to professional development;
- Good knowledge of Finance and a keen interest in the Canadian Real Estate Market/Development Industry;
- Excellent communication/presentation, interpersonal and team skills;
- Ability to work independently with confidence and strong commitment to Borrower/Client service; • Willingness to work flexible hours, and train both on/off the job to improve general business and lending skills; and
- Demonstrates a high capacity for increasingly complex workloads.
Experience what makes Cameron Stephens different! What’s in it for you!
- Opportunity to work within, create, and drive a culture of growth and innovation; • Inspire a positive work environment and help champion quality service, innovation, teamwork to assist our Borrowers/Clients meet/exceed their goals;
- Learn voraciously, stretch you and your team’s thinking, share your knowledge and educate others! • Cultivate winning relationships & building trust;
- Share our commitment to productivity, effectiveness and operational efficiency; • Be an agent of change, help others to embrace it and watch amazing things happen! • Help your community through a variety of outreach programs!
We are committed to providing equal opportunities for persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available at all stages of the recruitment process, at the candidate’s request.